The House of the memory of Zofia Ryży is one of the oldest houses and the must-see places for those who want to see photos, documents and memories about the history of the village. Photographs, books and documents related with the village is exhibited at the house.
It is the historical symbol of the village, and the culture, friendship and hospitality between Poland and Turkey. It has an indispensable place for the village’s history.
A sign of the Polish-Turkish relations and takes place in all the official government visits to the village.
Visitors from Poland or other countries always visit the house and the house is being told in all books and tours related with the village.
If you want to make cultural activity, see the village life and memories of the Polish people living in the village since 1842, and make a kind of a museum visit, than we recommend you visit this house of the Aunt Zofia, which is also one of the oldest houses in the village.
Aunt Zofia & the Story of the House
The House of the memory of Zofia Ryży was built in the years of 1881-1883 by her father, Wincenty Rıżı. This house of the Rizi family was the village’s most popular and beautiful house.
Typical Polish architecture of the era still keeps its originality. It also fascinates everyone with its lush garden.
The idea of opening a memorial house dates back to the 1940s, with the effort of the Michal Czajkowski. Polish traditions were kept alive in this house of Wincenty Rizi, who had returned from exile, especially from Siberia, and at the same time, the house was housing a library of the largest Polish books in the village, along with portraits of famous Poles and paintings on patriotism.
Later on in this house, the famous Zofia Rizi (1903-1986), known as “Ciocia Zosia (Aunt Zosia)”, continues to live and contributes to the history of the village by giving information about the mother language and Polish history to the village’s youth.
Zofia Rizi also awarded with the “Silver Order of Merit” by the Polish State Council in 1975 for her cultural activities.
Again, due to her extraordinary achievements in strengthening the ties between the Poles living abroad and the homeland in 1981, she was given a special diploma by the “Polonia” association.
Guests who come visit the house from all over the world write their notes on the memoirs and albums that have been kept in the house since 1916.
After the death of Zofia Rizi in 1986, as a result of the works of the Adampol Cultural Foundation established in Warsaw, in accordance with her will and thanks to her good intentions (her nephews, Leslaf Rizi and Antoni Dohoda), the memories of the village’s history and its inhabitants were collected here at the house and turned into a museum where all are exhibited.
And finally, after all the completion of the work done, the the Zofia Rizi Memorial House is officially opened on July 04, 1992, on the 150th anniversary of the village’s foundation.
Visiting Hours & Admissions
Open only at the weekends, between 10:00, 13:00-14:00 ve 17:00
Entrance Fee: 5 TL per person
Tel: 0216 432 30 82 ; 0536 451 31 71